UCT Private Academic Hospital Seeks a Billings Manager in Cape Town
As a medical billing manager, it's unlikely you're involved in transcribing and coding patient care information. These codes set prices on the procedures performed, and they are required by insurance companies for you to receive payment. But you must be able to understand the codes and how the price you charge might be higher than what the insurance companies will pay for certain procedures. This typically requires either a coding certificate or an associate's degree in medical billing and coding. Understanding the coding differences helps you create bills for the insurance companies or the patients as necessary. The billing manager might also have the responsibility of talking with patients about balances -amounts not paid by the insurance companies - so you must know what kind of payment plans you can accept and when you can waive certain fees.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- The billing manager is usually responsible for all accounts receivable, which means following up to make sure bills are paid in full.
- Some bills are rejected by insurance programs because of code errors or required clarifications, so you must make sure these are resubmitted promptly.
- Also, you must ensure that patients who don't pay promptly are notified about their balances and that the accounts are turned over to a collection agency when they are past due.
- As the billing manager, you create reports of money that's received, outstanding, in collections and uncollectable to share with management.
- This requires basic knowledge of human resource practices and strong management skills.
- If some are part-time employees, you must also create a schedule to make sure your office is sufficiently staffed at all times.
Skills/ Knowledge and Abilities:
- Must be able to read, write, speak and understand the English language.
- Must possess the ability to make independent decisions when circumstances warrant such action.
- Must possess the ability to deal tactfully with personnel, patients, family members, visitors, government agencies/personnel and the general public.
- Must be able to type 45 words per minute and use a 10-key calculator.
- Must possess the ability to work harmoniously with professional and non-professional personnel.
- Must possess the ability to plan, organize, develop, implement and interpret the programs, goals, objectives, policies and procedures, etc. that are necessary for providing sound accounting techniques.
- Must have patience, tact, cheerful disposition and enthusiasm.
- Must possess the ability to seek out new methods and principles and be willing to incorporate them into existing practices.
- Must be able to prepare financial and other records in a systematic, neat and legible manner.
- Must be knowledgeable of micro- computers, data entry, output, etc.
- Must possess the ability to examine and verify financial documents and reports.
To Apply, Please Contact:
Yonela Rasonti at:
021 442 1854
Send your CV to: Yonela.Rasonti@netcare.co.za